Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Quick Powder Room Redo

When I first found the Caromal Colours paint I wanted to do a test project to see how the paint held up. I had been wanting to paint my small hallway half bath cabinet for some time. It was the same 80's oak cabinet as my kitchen with very shiny brass hardware and a brass and brown mirror above the sink with brass outlets and wall fixtures. The bathroom is wallpapered in a tone on tone American landmarks wallpaper that I actually like, seeing as we are outside DC, so I kept that and the cream sink top.

I chose peppercorn as the paint color, which is just like it's name - black/charcoal in color. I applied the same process as the kitchen, applied two coats and distressed the cabinet edges. I did not do the toner for this because I didn't see the point with the paint already being dark. I really like the outcome, it updated the bathroom immensely and I did this in one evening. For the mirror I took some liquid metallic pewter paint I already had from Michael's and painted over the gold. It was a bit to 'pewtery' so i added an antiquing black over it to tone it down a bit. My neighbor thought I had a new mirror, so guess that is good!

I added grass green accents to really pop against the cream on cream wallpaper and black cabinet and some antique bronze hardware. At some point I plan on switching out the brass faucet with a bronze one.

Old Bathroom:
From A Virginia Home Post


Updated Bathroom:
From A Virginia Home Post


From A Virginia Home Post

1 comment: