Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No Spending Challenge: Days 4-7

I am playing a bit of catch up today on the No Spending month calculations. If anyone out there in blog land is keeping track, well we are still moving along, albeit slowly. So instead of listing every day, I am summing it up.

Tally for Days 4-7:
Baseline Avg Spending Combined: $340.38
Actual Spending Combined: $250.83
Savings: $89.55

This included an order from Polyface Farm for my meat order, this was expected so no unplanned spending there though the overall pounds were higher than I anticipated and raised my expected cost (but I also got more meat, so OK). I also had an unplanned trip to Richmond due to a work computer issue and ended up buying lunch out (and a great lunch it was!) with my co-workers. So all in all we didn't go too far off track but more than I would like. I plan on trying to replicate the curry chicken salad, the hands down best I've ever had, at home on a future date.

From the Polyface order I decided to make a quiche tonight. My mother in law made some pretty inspiring quiches last month and I've always wanted to make one, especially seeing as the pre-made ones at Wegmans cost $8. It was my first attempt and it turned out pretty darn good. The egg yolks were such an orange color, nothing like an egg you buy in the store. I am looking forward to frying or scrambling them up in the morning for the kids.


For the quiche I decided to wing it with a little guidance from Paula Deen on the ratios and oven temp. I oven roasted some Shady Brook Farms turkey breakfast links and once cooked chopped them up. I also chopped up 2 green onions. For the egg mixture I combined 7 medium eggs (the only size Polyface had, but if you have larger use 1 or 2 less), about 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk, an assortment of Whole Foods cheese I had lying about in the fridge that I shredded to rougly 1/2 cup (mozzarella, fontina & gouda). I also added 3 Tbsp of some leftover bechamel sauce I had made to go over some broccoli the night before. That one was on a whim but I think it added some nice flavor. I used a whole grain pre-made spelt pie crust from Wholly Wholesome that I already had in the freezer. I started with the sausage on the bottom, green onions next and then poured in the egg mixture. It went in the oven at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes (bake until middle is set). To accompany the quiche I sauteed zucchini from the farmers market. I had another whim with those and added some curry powder along with the usual salt & pepper and Italian seasonings. Wow, what an interesting but great add for zucchini, a new staple recipe.

I was a bit nervous about the spelt pie crust because it was a pre-made frozen shell and without all the added fat & preservatives normal pre-made shells have I figured it would be crumbly or taste blah, however it got very good reviews from the family and I would totally buy them again for another dinner just like this, or perhaps a fruit pie. Looking at the ingredients and then comparing to Pillsbury, which would be a grocery store standard, I can't help but be glad it tastes good - which would you rather eat? (Thanks to Wegmans for listing product ingredients!)

Organic Spelt 9" Pie Shells
Organic Whole Spelt Flour (Wheat), Organic Palm Oil, Water, Organic Cane Sugar, Sea Salt

Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Pie Crusts, Regular
Enriched Wheat Flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), partially hydrogenated lard (adds trivial amount of fat) with BHA and BHT added to protect flavor, water, sugar, whey, salt, baking soda, sodium metabisulfite (preservative), colord with yellow 5 and yellow 6

I am planning a post on sustainable food as well as Polyface Farms soon! If you have not read Michael Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma, I stongly encourage you to do so, I have learned so much from it. Polyface is featured in the book as a sustainable agriculture farm and I happen to be oh so lucky enough to live in the same state!

No comments:

Post a Comment