Friday, July 10, 2009

I Love the 80's

Have you noticed all the remakes of 1980's songs right now? There are some really cool renditions of songs I never thought would be heard from again. I also find myself enjoying the original music of my teen years again, I'll confess I've even had the 80's station playing simply for enjoyment, gasp!

What I have not found a renewed love for is 80's decor. My house in Virginia was built in 1984 - my freshman year of High School. The prior owners certainly did updates to bring much of the home into the 90's, but it stopped there. My kitchen has the original 80's medium oak cabinetry, appliances from the 90's and most thankfully a new granite countertop. It was the countertop that helped sell the house because it was one less thing we would have to replace.

I have been told that under no circumstances am I allowed to buy a new kitchen by the large ogre I live with. He can be a real beast sometimes. So, with my existing budget restrictions (due in large part to the many other projects I'll cover in this blog), I was forced to take a hard look at what we have to work with and either live with it or get creative. I am really not very good at living with things as they are. Sure I can for a time, but the kitchen is something I love to use and cook in, it is indeed the heart of the home and when it doesn't feel like my heart I get crabby.

So here is our kichen in all it's 80's, 90's and modern glory. Is it bad? Nope, but it also isn't me. So stay tuned as the project begins!


1 comment: