Monday, July 13, 2009

Exhausted, but Happy


It all started innocently enough. The big dude was humoring my need to shop through all the little quaint stores in Occoquan, Virginia - land of the little country store. I was in a really cute place called Personally Yours with all manner of americana decor and in the very back of the third floor we happened to spy a display of Caromal Colours paint. I was curious and when I read the description was impressed to see that no sanding is needed and it will paint over anything - really anything?? Hmmm.

A few weeks later I picked up a jar of paint and refinished my half bath cabinet in one night - I'm saving that one for another post. But I liked the paint so much I decided it might just be possible to tackle my kitchen cabinets after all.

You see, years ago when we lived in Barrington, NH and M was just a baby, I did the whole kitchen painting remodel thing where you take off all the doors, sand the hell out of everything, and paint it, and sand it again, and paint it, etc.. only to get it all back together and have it start chipping in the first week. It was most definitely a "never again" project...so exhausting. So I was not exactly jumping at the chance to take on another kitchen paint job but I was also told by the ogre "no new kitchen", so was starting to feel a tad desperate. The paint I used is for rustic finishes, in fact I think that is what gives it it's durability. Caromal Colours does not feel like latex, nor does it smell like it. The finish is drier and almost powdery to the touch. It dries really fast so you have to work pretty quickly, but it is the most durable finish I've worked with.

With the need to go rustic I decided a French Country look would work well with my house and was something I liked myself. Normally I would go for something a bit more modern, I tend to like traditional mixed with modern and antique elements, but the paint was the driving force here so I was going full out French Country - roosters, toile and all.

We started the project by washing the cabinets down with a solution of TSP and letting it dry. We did not remove the doors and we did not sand anything!! My skilled laborer created trim boxes for the cabinet ends to give them a more finished look. We were lucky enough to find small moldings that mimicked the cabinet door detail. After that we taped off everything with painters tape and we were good to go.

Caromal Colours does not go on like a smooth coat paint, it is more of a mishing and mashing of the brush. You can make it more or less refined depending on how you like it, I tried for more refined. After two coats of paint I then antiqued the cabinets with a combination of hand sanding and electric with my mouse sander - for me this is the fun part. I find I start off pretty conservative and get more aggressive as I go, necessitating some backtracking to even things up. After the sanding I applied a toner which is essentially a wood stain that goes over the paint and sanded bits to give depth and tea stain everything. This was my most challenging part as it dries quickly and you have to brush it on, then wipe it off to the color and look you want. I stumbled a bit during this part but all in all it turned out well.

Here is the finished look. We really love it, so much prettier than what it was before. At some point we plan on switching out the appliances to all stainless steel and get new dining chairs because the ones we are using are borrowed from the dining room.
From Kitchen Remodel

From Kitchen Remodel

If you want more pictures, click on the slide show below:

10 comments:

  1. Lovely transformation Heather, your kitchen looks fabulous, and this new home is beautiful!

    I referred to your post on my blog so more people can appreciate your experience, I hope you don't mind! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen looks wonderful. My husband and I are planning on doing our kitchen with the Caromal Coulr paints. How many bottles did you use for your cabinets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, I used 4 of the larger jars of paint. I believe Caromal Colours has a gallon or other large size you can order from them. That would probably be more economical if I were to do it again.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the Caromal Colours site today..e-mailed to ask if they were available in any store around here. Getting in a mood to paint the bathroom cabinets in our AZ home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of redoing my kitchen cabinets as well. How long did it take you to do your kitchen from start to finish? It sounds as though it went pretty quickly. I love the results of your kitchen. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaci, Thanks for the complement! I did the kitchen over the course of a long weekend, so probably 3-4 days. That includes all the prep work. I won't lie and say painting kitchen cabinets is an easy job, in fact it is a big pain in the butt, it was made easier using the Caromal Colors paint and not doing the sanding/stripping of the original cabinet surface. ps, I am not a distributor for Caromal Colours or work for them in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the information. I have to say.....this actually seems like a task I can tackle using this product. I know it's a lot of work, but the result....it speaks for itself! I am so glad that I stumbled onto your before and after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! i've been wondering about the durability of this paint considering no primer is used. Almost a year later now, is the paint finish still looking good (i.e. no chipping etc.) and are you still happy with the Caromal colours?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi me - the paint is holding up very well from a chipping perspective, in fact I've had no chipping at all which is pretty amazing I think. The challenge I have had is that it isn't very easy to wash as the paint is a more porous and rough texture, so it doesn't wipe clean like cabinets normally should. I did a furniture wax rub over the paint and that has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good to know... hmmm, i wonder if there's a more permanent way to seal it so the paint is washable? i imagine the wax would have to be re-applied regularly.

    ReplyDelete