Saturday, October 3, 2009

No Spending Challenge: Day 3

I am starting to think I should have named this the 'Minimize Spending Challenge' because I have yet to hit a $0 or No Spending day. It is only day 3 so I have hope. Our expenses today were from a $5 donation to high school kids looking to sponsor their sports team. It is really hard to say no so we gave them the last cash we had on hand. The rest was for caulk for the shower. We desperately want it done by tomorrow and the 2 tubes we had were not enough, we needed 2 more.

Tally for the Day:
Day 3 Baseline Avg Spending: $132.53
Day 3 Actual Spending: $21.63
Savings: $110.90


From Blog
For dinner tonight I was inspired by Michael Ruhlman's recent contest for the best from scratch BLT's. It was mouthwatering looking at the contest winner photos - check them out here. So for dinner tonight we had BLT's on homemade focaccia with nitrate-free bacon, organic lettuce & tomatoes. Oh, they were so good, literally out of this world good. The foccacia came out a lot thinner than I expected and I even made it smaller than the recipe called for. It may be my yeast was old, I'm not sure. I also whipped up a pizza dough that is now in the fridge waiting for tomorrow night, so we'll see if that one seems off too. Regardless it still tasted great. I cut the foccacia like a pizza and sliced each piece in half lengthwise to make 2 pieces of toast, layered it with a yogurt ranch and caesar blend (I don't like mayo on a sandwich) the bacon, lettuce, thick sliced tomatoes and a small piece of havarti cheese. This is just a quick guess on cost, I didn't get my trusty calculator and the receipts out because it's been a really busy day. I estimate (per serving) $1.25 for the bacon, $0.16 for the lettuce, $0.40 tomatoes, $0.10 dressing and $0.30 for the havarti. This totals to $2.21 or $8.84 for the 4 of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment